* Spot opportunities for making money that others have overlooked–such as using a familiar tool in a new way, or serving a need that is currently unmet
* Solve problems in your community
* Overcome the challenges that every entrepreneur faces
* Stand out from other employees by coming up with a great solution to a problem.
Note that in every case, a great idea has to be followed up with hard work and dedication! But inspiration is an important first step.
Here are a couple of famous products that required creative thinking to get where they are today:
* The Slinky was invented by a naval engineer who accidentally knocked a spring off of a shelf and thought the now-familiar “walking” motion would be fascinating to kids. Hundreds of millions of Slinkies have been sold worldwide. Check out the online Slinky museum here.
* The reusable adhesive that makes Post-it notes work was invented accidentally. It took years to find a practical use for the stuff.Learn all about the history of Post-it.